Tuesday, January 14, 2014

MBC2014: A Brief Chat with Sarah Ho

Sarah sending the first ascent of Sonic Rainboom 5.12b at the BBC near Bozeman.

This week's brief chat is with Bozeman strongwoman Sarah Ho.  You've most likely seen Sarah at Spire Climbing Gym toting around (or belaying) her two adorable little girls.  Being a mother of two, last year she put her husband Jeff (co-owner of Spire) on daddy duty, drove eastward to Billings, and ended up taking home the 2013 MBC Women's belt buckle.

JOEL: First off I want to say congrats on last year's win. I've ran into you crushing boulders outside before, but last year's event was the first I recall seeing you at a competition. Was it your first comp? Or do you have a storied competition history from a previous generation that we don't know about? 

SARAH: Thanks! It was a really close field last year and could have been anyone’s win! I have done a few competitions in the past (a previous generation as you put it ), however this was, I think, my first competition post babies. I am more of an outside climber (shhh don’t tell Jeff).

JOEL: When did you start climbing? Where is your favorite place to climb in Montana?

SARAH: I have been climbing for about 10 years. I would have to say my most favorite crag in Montana is the Bozeman pass. Soooo many memories up there with so many great friends, over the past generations

JOEL: You've got two adorable little girls and a strongman husband. How much family climbing time do you guys get in every week? How much time do you focus on training for yourself?

SARAH: About 2 weeks after last year's Montana Bouldering Championship I broke my ankle in Hueco Tanks. So most of this year has been spent recovering and my climbing has been limited to a top rope. Our girls love to climb though, and we do take them out bouldering. Its most fun with a group so there are extra spotters and babysitters! We enjoy going to the Butte Batholith (Trailer Boulders and The Druthers Boulders), and Whiskey Gulch. The girls are quite the slab climbers! We also usually try to take a big bouldering trip each winter down south where it is warm and sunny.

Sarah, Jeff, and their girls on a bouldering mission in Bishop CA.

JOEL:  Yowza, ankle breaks are a bummer.  Glad to hear you've recovered.  How often do you wear the MBC belt buckle? Do you ever wear it around the house to remind Jeff that you are a Montana Bouldering Champion and he's not? 

SARAH:I love my belt buckle! A memento of a memory I will always have! I believe it is the only credential I've reached before Jeff, so it is pretty special to me.

JOEL: Anything else you'd like to share with the climbers of Montana?

SARAH: Enjoy the experience of climbing and the fun day it brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment