Sunday, January 18, 2015

MBC2015: A Brief Chat with Jon Scott

Jon happily descending after flashing Mens Final #1 at MBC2014
 Jon Scott is one of Bozeman's strongest climbers. He was a finalist at last years MBC and took a solid 2nd place at the Steepworld Rock Jam. He's climbed many of the stout lines and boulders across Montana. Always a positive and polite gentlman, Jon and I sat down for a little beta share.
Joel: You're a solid strong climber, as evidence shows from your 2nd place finish at the 2014 Steepworld Rock Jam, yet I mostly know of you as a setter. Your history of setting for Spire competitions goes back how long, and why do you enjoy setting?
Jon: I have been setting since the dawn of man, if fact I created the first man made hand hold back in 1972,,,,,,, But really, I've been setting for years,,,,, who cares how long. I set because I enjoy movement and specifically climbing movement. I got into setting because it was the next logical step in my climbing. Not only to read a route, but to also set one has helped me enjoy climbing even more.
Jon route setting for Spire and creating movement
Joel: How did you start climbing? Why did you stick with it?
Jon: I started climbing when I was about 7 till I was about 13. After which I got caught up in the high class flash of the skiing world. After the age of 20 I came back down to earth and realized that climbing is the most sensible thing you can do as a human being, and voila' and was back in love with climbing.
Joel: I agree, some of the best human beings I've ever met, I've met on top of mountains. You're one of the first active climbers of your generation I've known that was actually born and raised in Bozeman. You've seen the climbing "scene" evolve in front of you, what's the view like?
Jon: Yeah, I grew up in Bozeman and have been with the climbing "Scene" for some time. To this day I don't believe their is a real scene in Montana compared to other states, but this is what I love about the climbing communities in Montana. There's just great people trying hard, making trails, talking beta, scrubbing holds, with a smile on their face the whole time. Montana is the wild west of climbing, what I mean to say is that there is a massive amount of potential in our state we just have to get off our lazy asses and go find the next greatest thing! That being said people like Tom Wells, Alec Tkach, and the man the myth the legend Kyle Vassilopoulos were huge in forming this piece of clay into a piece of rock. To say if I am old school or new school? I would say more new school but I understand my roots.
Joel: A smile on your face the whole time, so true. What does your training schedule currently look like?
Jon: I just love to climb, and I would climb and train 7 days a week, but the old body just can't handle it. So I climb and train as much as possible without hurting myself.
Joel: If you could only do one thing in climbing for the rest of your life what would it be.
Jon: ........either clipping bolts or stacking pads.
Joel: Looks like a choice you're glad you don't have to actually make. In your opinion, what is the single greatest rope route and boulder problem in Bozeman?
Jon: The best route I would say would be anything up at the Cube in Gallatin Canyon, all of the routes there are these 50' power endurance lines that have some of the most unique moves I have ever done. As far as bouldering, there are a couple of really nice boulders up Cascade creek that are worth the hike for sure.
Joel: Ok, how about the single greatest rope route and boulder problems in Montana?
Jon: The best rope climb in montana, has to be Isla De los Locos at Natural Bridge State Park. Beautifully blue streaked line, that is on you from the first bolt all the way to the end. So friggin' good. As far as boulders, I would say the mile 18 boulders are kinda the hot stuff right now. All the work Sander and Derv put into the area has really paid off. There's some really hard and committing lines up there.
Joel: Yes! I saw Sander's film this past fall (MILE 18) and thought the boulders were beautiful as well as the video's minimalist cinematography and editing. What and where do you want to be climbing in 5 years?
Jon: I would say, still climbing. I hope I still have the drive to continue pushing myself as well as laughing as much as ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment